Sunday, July 31, 2011

BRC: Comfort Food with Old friends

30 July 2011

BRC: Comfort Food with Old friends


I debated the night before on where to take my out-of-town visitors for Saturday morning brunch. Houston has so many delicious restaurants to choose from that it is often hard to make a decision. Ideas included Shade, Hugos, Zelko Bistro, and one of the many taquerias. There was a gluten-allergy in our group, so I figured that hole-in-the-wall taqueria was probably less ideal.

We finally decided on BRC (aka. Big Red Cock...). I have eaten at the BRC on multiple occasions for dinner but never tried their brunch. BRC calls themselves a gastropub. They have a kick-ass selection of American/Southern Comfort foods. Their burgers and sandwiches are great and include options like grilled cheese, burgers, sliders, brisket sandwich, and fried catfish sandwich. They also have some delicious salads, the ones I've tried were the Leghorn (pulled chicken), BBQ salmon cobb salad, and a burger salad. They have a mac 'n cheese of the day, options in the past have included hot sauce & blue cheese, fried chicken, spicy andouille sausage.

BRC also has a large and every changing seasonal selection of beers with a great representation of craft beers. I can never resist the Left Hand Milk Stout when I visit BRC. It is rich, creamy, smooth and a little sweet. I'd be happy just to visit BRC for the beer alone. On Monday night they have a $7 burger and fries special that goes quite well with the beer. For those that aren't beer lovers, they do make their own punches & sangrias.

We stopped off for a coffee at Catalina on the way over, I needed some caffeination after working overnight at the hospital. Allison, Justin, Chris and I made it there alive despite my wreckless sleep-deprived driving while holding a latte in one hand. I was surprised that there was no wait to be seated for brunch as I have found the place quite crowded on any given night for dinner.

We got a seat in one of the large circular leather booths. We were all starving by the time we got the menus, so hungry that we had trouble deciding what to order. Justin settled on the brisket breakfast enchiladas. Chris got the short rib hash. Allison got the coop style burger which is a cut up cheese burger with eggs, queso, jalapenos and onions. I got the pulled baby back ribs, eggs and biscuits. It came with hot sauce and a bacon relish which was sweet and fantastic to go along with the biscuits and ribs. It was a hearty breakfast that I could barely finish. I was regretting the post-call egg McMuffin I had eaten at 6am. Brunch was great, but it was a bit coma-inducing, even the double-latte from Catalina was not enough to keep me awake any longer. I'll be back again soon for the stout...



No comments:

Post a Comment